I made a similar trip a few summers ago to Great War sites, and when I wrote about it here later I made a point of limiting myself to a few topics. Otherwise it would have been like the torture of a tourist’s post-travel living room presentation with six carousels of slides. I will adhere to the same policy this time. Yes, we saw some astonishing things I’d love to tell you about. We watched gray-haired metalheads congregate around Dietrich Bonhoeffer’s church. We watched a kid feed a Nutria on the banks of the Vitava, against all the rules on the signs. I’d like to kvetch about how Europeans walking their dogs don’t appear to enjoy having dogs and don't want you to enjoy them, either. But if I started going in to all that kind of stuff, I’d ask too much of your attention spans, even the ones of you who especially polite and attentive. So less is more. Here are four things I think are worth telling you about, each of them in keeping with the core purpose of our trip: to see relics of life behind the Iron Curtain.
Berlin
Bornholmer Straße
One of the inspirations for the Berlin trip was Australian writer Anna Funder’s 2003 book Stasiland, an account of her effort to uncover the stories of the experiences of East Germans under the GDR regime. Funder combines a memoir of her daily life in barely-liberated former East Berlin with the stories of erstwhile GDR citizens who consent to tell her their stories Her first subject, the center of her most detailed and most powerful story, is Miriam Weber. As a teenager in Leipzig in 1968, Miriam got in trouble with the state for posting leaflets mildly objecting to the state’s treatment of protestors. By “got in trouble” I mean “arrested and put on trial.” Rather than expose herself further to what she had already of experienced of the GDR’s harsh treatment of dissenters, 16-year-old Miriam resolved to take the desperate step of going over the wall. Miriam’s account (as narrated by Funder) of her inches-away-from-success effort to make it across the border into the West may be the most memorable passage in the book. She recalls navigating the fences and tool sheds and private gardens near her chosen crossing point, the Bornholmer Bridge, trying to elude the search lights and police dogs and barbed wire. As Miriam tells Funder her harrowing story decades after it happened, it almost seems to be far enough in the past to be spoken of lightly. But not far enough:
I laugh with Miriam as she laughs at herself, and at the boldness of being sixteen. At sixteen you are invulnerable. I laugh with her about rummaging around for a ladder in other people's sheds, and I laugh harder when she finds one. We laugh at the improbability of it, of someone barely more than a child poking around in Beatrix Potter's garden by the Wall, watching out for Mr McGregor and his blunderbuss, and looking for a stepladder to scale one of the most fortified barriers on earth. We both like the girl she was, and I like the woman she has become.
She says suddenly, “I still have the scars on my hands from climbing the barbed wire, but you can't see them so well now.”
Normannenstraße
One of the must-sees of our trip was the gigantic headquarters of the Stasi, the Ministerium für Staatssicherheit, the legendary East German secret police. The GDR’s founders spent the 1930s as exiles in Moscow during Stalin’s terror and learned the lessons of his brand of totalitarianism a little too well – they were always trying to outdo their Soviet counterparts in the field of paranoid mass surveillance and brutal suppression of dissent. According to Funder, in the GDR there was one Stasi officer or informer for every 63 people, the highest percentage in the world. The 50 building control center of this massive effort, in the Lichtenberg district of Berlin, is preserved today as a museum.
In Funder’s retelling of the end of East Germany, one of the most inspiring stories is how in January of 1990, ordinary East Germans saw towers of smoke coming from the Stasi complex at Normannenstraße and began to gather en masse outside. What ensued was not a lynch mob, as one might imagine, but prevention of destruction of 40 years of surveillance records. If there was going to be cover up of all the spying, it would be on terms determined by the spied upon. Similar interventions happened at Stasi offices all across the country. As Funder tells it, the former GDR on the cusp of reunification struggled as a polity with what to do with all those millions of files and the recriminations their opening could lead to. In the end, the files that remained were preserved and made available to those who had been surveiled. If you’ve seen The Lives of Others (if you haven’t, watch it now – I insist), you’ll remember the electric moment when the formerly wiretapped playwright Georg Dreyman goes to Normannenstraße to review his files and realizes that a Stasi mole had risked all to try to protect him.
When Becki and I went to Normannenstraße there was a moment I had a flash of realization – she was walking in Dreyman’s footsteps as she approached House 7, home of the records.
As Funder toured the former East in the late 90s, the effort was well underway to preserve Stasi HQ in amber, and the place we visited in June is the fruit of the effort. The term “banality of evil” is overused, and perhaps misused, too, but in this case the sheer mundanity and seventiesness of the offices and décor is impossible to miss, and it makes an impression. Becki said the desks and chairs made her feel as though she should have been asking for a late pass in 7th grade. That’s exactly how it looks – except, as we were well aware, the effort these bland bureaucrats were engaged in was to stifle free thinking and limit freedom of movement and to infiltrate private life. Our tour guide observed that part of the insidiousness of the Stasi’s organizational structure was to disaggregate every odious task of surveillance and control so that no single person might think of himself as uniquely villainous: I’m not the oppressive secret police, I’m just a guy who makes sure the files are alphabetized.
It turns out that Švejk is such a hilariously duty-shirking, officer-maddening, subversive doofus of a character that you could transplant his restaurant to the U.S. and rename it “Yossarian’s”. In fact, it was unsurprising to learn that Joseph Heller said he could not have written Catch-22 if it weren’t for Hasek. Whether Švejk is forging dog pedigrees to con buyers or feigning half-wittedness to avoid military service or trying haplessly to manage his officer's mistress, you can practically see Yossarian in the corner taking notes. The Good Soldier Švejk is very funny, but it is comedy underscored with the distinctive bitterness you almost always find in literature about World War I composed by veterans who witnessed all that pointless suffering. Even as Hasek makes us laugh at Švejk’s aimless but somehow disarming storytelling, there’s no mistaking his rage at the architects of the war, in this case the Austro-Hungarian military and aristocracy. Hasek died before he could complete the novel to his satisfaction, but even in the state he left it it became an iconic text of Czech literature.
gargantuan statue of Stalin, the world’s largest, that stood at the edge of Letná from 1955 to 1962, before de-Stalinizing Soviet leaders had it dynamited. For seven years the statue stared down overwhelmingly at anyone crossing the Czech Bridge over the Vitava River. The sculptor, Otakar Svec, killed himself a few days before the unveiling of the statue, apparently guilt-ridden over his own part in glorifying Stalin. Where the statue used to be there is now a large metronome, kind of a pop art installation. The metronome is listed as an attraction in Prague, but way down the list. It is said to be a place frequented by skateboarders. The implication is that there are many better places to visit. Until we saw the story of the Stalin statue at the Museum of Communism it had not even occurred to me that we should visit that place. Now I wanted to go.







No comments:
Post a Comment